Friday, May 30, 2008

Ice Cream and Alarm Clocks

I am old enough to remember that Cher, after she split from Sonny and had her own variety show, did a bit where she'd show up at her refrigerator in fuzzy slippers after a date had dropped her off (this alone probably explains why my parents permitted me to watch Cher on a variety show) and ate soft ice cream, right out of the container.

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that before I became a sensible person, I frequently had ice cream for breakfast. Now, I have a strict rule dictating that no ice cream emerges from the freezer before 10am.

None of which has much to do with today's scientific discovery:

A very good way to wake up early in the morning is to open a window and its curtain at bedtime for cool fresh air, and then forget to close it again before 4am when the birds start hunting for some ice cream (or equivalent) of their own.

I mention this because I think it will be very helpful to try it on a day when I actually want to get up early. See? I care about you, so I share.

And now back to the not-sufficiently-scientific experiment I've been conducting, which aims to answer the urgent question: how come on days I eat Haagen-Daz ice cream I lose weight, but gain it on days when I eat ice cream sandwiches, chocolate, or cookies? It's going to need a lot more research to figure this one out, I fear.

No comments: