Friday, March 12, 2010

Vacation in 3... 2... 1...

The old school habit of March Break dies hard, especially when you've already had a few days of the kind of spring weather you don't normally get till April. I just wanna get out and play!

My ideas about how to do it are as scattered as seeds on the snow, of which we have none (see note re. April weather above) and I am trying to remember every element of last summer's day trips - a bag of essential snacks and books for the car, some pretty mindless knitting, municipal maps pointing to previously researched cool local attractions, a picnic lunch catered by my favourite Belgian bakery, and a camera with a freshly-charged battery.

Of course, today is grey and cold and threatening rain, as you would expect a March day to be, but I don't much care. All you have to do is poke your nose an inch out of the door and you can smell Spring. And that's why I don't mind a bit that my fear of flying puts a stop to any thoughts of a week on a sunny beach. The way the weather has sped up this winter, if I left the country I'd miss the crocuses!

No comments: