Thursday, August 20, 2009

The butcher, the baker...

Well, actually there isn't a baker in this story about my awesome local butcher who could probably be my son, which is depressing, and yet sort of encouraging because how many guys that young are willing and able to landscape and cook?

And as an added bonus, he can remove any necessity for me to think about cooking. I'm not a bad cook, but I'm a pretty fabulous baker, and consequently I'd always rather do that.

Hey, there is a baker in this story after all!

Okay, I'll stop yammering and get on with yesterday's splendidness:

Me: You know, I'd really like be a grownup and cook a meal today, but it's so hot out. I'm thinking I won't even be able to walk anything home without it spoiling on the way.

He: How 'bout marinated flank steak? It's vacuum sealed so it'll be fine to get home. Broil it on a cookie sheet for 7 minutes - 4 one side, 3 the other - and it won't heat up your house. Take this one, you'll have leftovers and you won't have to cook at all tomorrow.

Me: Done and done.

Me later: Wowza. Do I really have to leave leftovers?

(and also, Note to self: don't put parchment paper between steak and a cookie sheet when broiling. Yikes.)

1 comment:

Kathleen Taylor said...

Yesterday I bought pre-cooked, marinated, sliced roast and made French Dip Sandwiches (and it wasn't too hot to cook, I just wanted a FD sandwich). It was wonderful, and all I had to do was boil the au jus and warm the roast in the microwave. My kind of cooking.