Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My other office

You might find this hard to believe, but even when I procrastinate I'm pretty darned productive. I just have to take drastic measures sometimes to make it so.

Like lately, I've had to leave the house to do any writing whatsoever. At home I have The Internet. At the coffee shop, not only do I have people around who would notice if I got up and wandered around and stared out the window, I have to pay to have The Internet. I don't have an automatic hookup, and I can turn a switch on my laptop to keep it from even thinking about looking for a connection. The sad thing is that it's not just for writing. I had to go there all last week when I had those editing deadlines, too.

I'm very, very productive in the coffee shop... while drinking hot chocolate, and eating a seed-studded breakfast bar that's basically a Rice Krispie Treat made with dried fruits and nuts instead of Rice Krispies and stuck together with gobs of honey and Golden Syrup. Isn't that interesting? At home (at the moment) I'm eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and other sensible things, and I'm not writing. At my other office, I'm eating sugar and writing up a storm. Coincidence? I hope not.

No comments: