Friday, April 16, 2010

Best before

Yesterday I replaced a battery and the new one I found in the 'frig turned out to be old - it was marked Best Before 2008. Meh, I thought, and put it in anyway. It's not like it was food, and what's the worst that could happen?

I still don't know because it worked just fine, which reminded me of other things that seem to be Best Before and really aren't.

Kathi, Karen, and TexNan will remember our mutual friend whose mother decided, after her children were old enough, to go to med school. Somebody pointed out to her that by the time she was done she'd be 45, or 50, or whatever crazy age she would be. She pointed back that if she didn't do it, then by the time she would have been done she'd be 45, or 50, or whatever crazy age.

I got braces just a few years ago instead of in my teens like I should have. The other day, looking back at old photographs, I was shocked at how crooked my teeth used to be! I'm so glad I bothered to have that done as an adult, hassle though it was, because not only do I smile for pictures now - I've had a clean bill of health from every dentist's visit since.

And then there's this ridiculous driving license situation I'm in. I had wanted to get the highway test part of it done a year or two ago so I wouldn't be in this 7-week deadline nightmare. But you know what? I would have dragged out the experience for months if I'd done that. This way I can just focus on one thing and get it done.

Which will free me up for a fabulous, relaxing summer.

And that? That is the best.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just love the way you look at things.