Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Garlic soup

I'm trying not to cry over having finished My Life in France. I enjoyed it so much, and now I have nothing to read over breakfast or lunch.

In the end, and even though French cooking is not exactly my thing, one food thing actually struck a chord with me. So much so that I picked up three heads of garlic at the fruit and veg shop yesterday.

Yep, garlic soup. Who ever heard of such a thing? Not me over here under my rock, that's for sure. I immediately envisioned roasted cloves, smashed and pureed and mixed in with chicken stock... all kinds of awesome.

Sadly I neglected to pick up a copy of any of Julia Child's cookbooks with the garlic, and could only find this recipe on Epicurious to try. It would require me to have made chicken stock first (you just know it's not going to be as good with store-bought broth) and to poach eggs.

While debating the merits of all that effort, I did a proper web search and found the Julia Child version here. This one would have me making my own mayonnaise with raw egg and olive oil. I'm sure that the egg would cook to a safe condition in the heat from the soup. Really. But... the poached egg option is looking a bit more appealing by comparison.

Now all I need is to get a wicked cold on the Friday of a weekend in which I'm going nowhere and seeing nobody (except people who really like garlic or, alternatively, vampires), preferably while all that garlic I bought is still a viable ingredient. Any chance, you think?

No comments: