Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Home Bakery

When I was in my mid-twenties (twenty or so minutes ago), there was a bakery between where I lived and where I caught my bus to work, and I would breathe in deeply as I passed (assuming I didn't stop and buy everything I could carry) and think that someday I should retrain as a baker. I was dimly aware of the early hours, but I figured the aroma would be worth it.

All of which is to say that today I am trying yet another bread technique as described in the reassuringly slim book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day. I have the equivalent of four loaves of whole wheat bread rising in a big Tupperware bowl on the counter, and in a couple of hours I'll be able to shove it in the 'frig and use the contents for up to 14 days. I'll keep you posted.

Yes, I know it is insanity to choose this particular procrastination technique during Boot Camp. Bread and weight loss Do Not Mix. And I haven't worked on either of my two rush pieces, one due Saturday, the other on Tuesday, in several days. What can I say? I like to live on the edge.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Fresh bread?? I'll be right over!

Mary Keenan said...

I wish! I'll make tea if you turn up ;^)

Kathleen Taylor said...

oooohhhhh.... fresh homemade bread... no such thing in my house since Diabetes came to stay. But just thinking about it makes my mouth water. (that didn't stop me from making jam, but Terry doesn't like jam, and he does love fresh bread, so I won't torture him with making any)

Hang in there with the 2 deadlines- the proper inspiration will come in time (even if that inspiration is *oh s--t, it's Monday night and this thing is due Tuesday*.