Monday, April 6, 2009

Writing, or thinking about it anyway

Today is a writing day in that I will have about an hour to kill where there's little temptation to do anything else. (I need more days like this, don't I.) I don't know whether my fingers will drift over to the new short story, or over to the nonfiction project, and I accept that. However, a quotation from a wonderful interview that Binnie sent me this morning is sticking with me:

"... until I'm writing I don't know what I know."*

It has me wondering what I don't know that I know because I'm not writing it down. It's like what a sales manager told me once: in the hotel business, every day you don't rent out a room is lost revenue, because you're not going to get another shot at that day next week or next month. Every day that I'm not writing may well be a day that presented more difficulties because I had less information about life, or maybe just less self-awareness.

What I do know for sure is that every day I'm not writing is a day that doesn't make me as happy as one when I do. So even though the weather outside is way, way beyond frightful, I'm thinking this is going to be a good day.

* This is from Wayson Choy, naturally - lots of good Wayson Choy words in the media just now!

No comments: