Monday, November 2, 2009

The other that one thing led to

I was really looking forward to yesterday - aka The Day After Halloween.

I like the idea of Halloween, sort of, but I find it exhausting too, and no matter how hard I try not to make a big fuss about it, I always seem to get caught up and keep thinking of clever things at the last minute, like this new head for my annual Headless Man:


Probably none of the neighbourhood kids noticed I glued eyes on the silver Christmas ornaments in the leaves there, what with the dark and all, but I knew, and why should they have all the fun?


In any case I was really looking forward to it being over. I was going to take the day off from everything.

Right after I dug out the humidifier for the one super dry room in the house (radiator heat, dontcha know.)

Because I can't leave well enough alone, and since I had to move a wardrobe anyway to get at the electrical outlet for said humidifier, I thought I'd do some vacuuming and move the bookshelves, too, to give them a proper cleaning before reclining with a good book or some knitting for the rest of the day.

But it was not to be: there was

unpleasantness

behind them, thankfully only on the walls.


This is a direct consequence of living in a small house older than the concept of insulation and choosing other than a minimalist style. You just can't put tall wide furniture up against exterior walls and leave it there for a couple of years, is the problem.

The rest of the day, apart from cleanup, was an elaborate game of Tetris, finding places for the air-blocking furniture and finding non-air-blocking furniture to fit into the gaps. And this is something I definitely do not count as vacation.

Wanh.

However, there is a bright side. Come Christmas, and come January when I finally catch whatever's going around and have to muster up the strength to shovel snow, I'm not going to have to wonder what's going on in the hidden corners of the house, and I'm not going to have to deal with anything yucky.

I'm just going to have to keep noticing how crowded the living room looks with that one extra bookcase in it. Double wanh - I really hate it, even if it does give me more space for books.

No comments: