Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fall Sale followup

I didn't find any buttons or blankets or wool sweaters for felting, but I didn't come away empty-handed from the Awesome Fall Sale last week, either:


I have such a weakness for lacy and/or embroidered handkerchiefs. They don't take up a lot of room, which is an important consideration for me, and they're very pretty, and just rare enough of a find to feel exciting. Someday - probably a week Tuesday when I'm in the middle of writing an inspired piece that everyone will want to read - I might even think of something to do with them.

The plain white cloth underneath the hankies looks totally ordinary unless you happen to notice it's linen. And if you pick it up, you'll find it's linen that's been washed and ironed enough over the years to have a wonderful heavy drape. I found one pinprick of a stain on the underside near the edge; otherwise, it's in perfect shape, and it set me back all of $5. Again: no idea what I will do with this. But I'm happy to know that if I ever need a 3'x3' linen cloth, it's neatly folded in my cupboard and ready to go.

In the textile sections I found a lot of vintage knitting needles that I resisted, being distracted by this Singer sewing machine attachment. I love my old 1940s model, but I do wish I could serge the odd edge now and then. Zigzagging is a reasonable substitute though, and for a buck, I figured I could gamble on this 1950s attachment fitting my machine. Sometime this week when I get a chance (and if I think I don't have time, I'm sure to make it by sitting down to write a first draft of the aforementioned inspired piece), I'll find out whether or not I won the bet.

2 comments:

TexNan said...

Wonderful finds, Maire! Dang I wish we were closer--I'd so love to go shopping with you. Not that I need anything, but it's fun to look.

Thanks for your good wishes for Tom. He's home now and though I enjoyed driving into Austin every day--yunno, I really did! I'm a driver; what can I say?--he hated being in the hospital.

Mary Keenan said...

You're SO not kidding re. the shopping - that would be bliss. Great news about Tom!!