Friday, August 7, 2009

Where I would be if I couldn't be here

I would be in England.

Unfortunately I really REALLY don't enjoy flying (or perhaps it is better to say I don't enjoy being reduced to a quaking, weeping wreck before so much as boarding the plane; I've been known to burn off sedatives from the stress while rocking back and forth in the departure lounge.)

But if I could do it

(or had the money to sail on the Queen Mary 2)

I would be in England on a walking tour, stopping for cream teas and allowing some lovely days for London and its beautiful parks and museums and then back to the countryside for tours of estates and their gardens. I had an amazing year doing quite a lot of that shortly after I finished university, and an amazing holiday doing far from enough of it many years later, before the whole flying thing became impossible. Where I live is pretty, but the English countryside is... well. Yum about sums it up, especially at this time of the year.

And now that I've said that, I will return to more realistic holiday planning.

(psst - check out this vacation rental site and, oh dear, this one. If only Harry Potter were true and I could just Apparate.)

No comments: