Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sock it to me

I am a recovering knitter (yeah, knitting and soap operas, I know.) I loved knitting--the original productive procrastination technique--but I just had too many failed projects in a row, and then I got carpal tunnel, and I really need to save my wrists for typing.

I have friends who knit and talk about it--they're in my blog list below Delay Tactics. Kathi is so far out of my league I can just enjoy her entries about spinning... but Karen. That bad Karen has been writing most alluringly about socks. And if there's one thing I've been dreaming about since I caved and bought myself a pair of Blundstone boots when my own boots gave out last winter with 4 more weeks of cold and snow to go, it's unlimited pairs of wool socks. Wool socks in Blundstone boots are about as bliss as you can get.

So as I pack up my bag to start my writing camp today, I am wishing I had a sock project to bring along with me. And when I say wishing, I mean I will be lined up at some wool store about 10 seconds after I put this draft of the book to bed.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Yummmm....wool socks. Is there anything they can't do?
Seriously. You need to try this Apple Laine yarn I've been using for Kate's socks -- it's so smooshy, but with a bit of a soft sheen to it, and knits up like a dream.
Once you're done Book Camp, of course. ;^)

Mary Keenan said...

Evillllll!

Kathleen Taylor said...

Go ahead Maire- buy some sock yarn. It won't hurt anything... just one skein... you know you can stop any time....

I am finally done with 7 months of 7 days a week of sock knitting for my book, and what am I looking forward to casting on the most? socks,of course...

Mary Keenan said...

oh MAN. Kathi, you were supposed to say something like you're so RIGHT Maire, it's better just to buy socks and knuckle down to work on that book. If you can't resist socks after 7 months of them, how am I going to do it? (btw, when does your sock book come out?)

Kathleen Taylor said...

Sept '09 is the current pub date- so you have awhile to work before it hits the stands...

And yes, you do need to work on your book, and knit socks later (maybe only 15 minutes later, but there is time for both... heh...)