Sunday, September 7, 2008

I Blame Karen

Back when she was writing mysteries, Karen did such a good job of keeping me on the straight and narrow. Now, she's knitting (cue doom music here.)

You can visit her not-a-KnitGeek blog, listed in my blogroll, and see just how appealing she makes it sound. And though it may not show, I'm actually a recovering knitting addict. There are worse vices, but not when you have carpal tunnel and a very busy schedule with hardly enough time for writing let alone sitting down for hours and hours with some scrawny string and a pair of sticks and creating beautiful, soft, warm things to wear that turn out not to fit.

This is the worst time of year for me when it comes to avoiding knitting, what with the temperature dropping just a little and the leaves fluttering down to blanket the ground. And yesterday I followed a link on Karen's blog to a knitting magazine cover that displayed a vest that looked soooo easy and soooo fast and soooo flattering - how could I lose?

None of which explains why I came home yesterday from a simple errand with a bag of acrylic wool blend (acrylic? did I even think to read the label before I said yes please?) and a Sirdar pattern for a heavily cabled raglan cardigan. Yep, I said cardigan. That means I have to knit sleeves too before I can realize my not-insignificant investment. And there were so many other things I wanted to be doing now... overhauling my website, writing another story or two, working on my novel, finishing the work assignment due on Tuesday...

It's all Karen's fault.

3 comments:

Kathleen Taylor said...

I blame Karen too- everything on her blog looks totally yummy, and I want to knit it all(except maybe the Clapotis scarf because Clapotis scares me).

Mary Keenan said...

Kathi, I'd be blaming you too if I hadn't just barely been able to resist the felted purses on display in the knitting store I stumbled across! Speaking of yummy.

Karen said...

****heh heh heh heh***

That's the sound me chuckling softly. Yes! I have recruited another victim to my evil vice! :D

Seriously...take it a little bit at a time, and next thing you know you'll be churning out so many beautiful, flattering garments, you won't know where to keep 'em all!

Oh, wait. That's another obsession: finding places to store stuff. Sorry!