Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Chili

I've met some very interesting people over the years, not least a woman I worked with for a few years and who, early in our friendship, mentioned that she was in the mood to make chili.

"I think at lunch, I'll get over to the grocery store and pick up some beef and canned tomatoes and spices and some styrofoam bowls and plastic spoons."

Wha? I thought. Turns out my friend didn't have dishes. Not because she couldn't afford them, but because she didn't need them except for chili, which she only made once a year. Otherwise, she'd have been dining out just as she did every night with some man who would be, naturally, picking up the tab. She was unfamiliar with the concept of Dutch Treat and I horrified her by explaining it.

Knowing this woman was like reading a brand new Lorelei Lee novel, with some new, delightful anecdote every day. Today I'm making chili, and I hope it helps me remember more of them.

2 comments:

Kathleen Taylor said...

I hope you remember more stories too- she sounds fascinagting (in a *totally alien creature* sort of way)

Amy said...

This story is *hilarious* to me. (And I agree with Kathleen--totally alien creature.) If you do remember more stories, you could start a whole category for them on your blog--I'd totally read that. (I love the whole blog, by the way! I found you through Resweater, and you're feeding my felted/reworked sweater addiction very nicely. Thanks for that!) ;-)